Friday, June 15, 2007

Swimming In Busy

Wow... seems that I haven't blogged in a long while. Well... ya see... I been busy! Yeah, that's the ticket! I have been very busy. First off, I have been dealing with kidney stones and I think the drugs have made me loopy and lethargic. Second, I have been churning out paper models for Teacher Ker at an unheard of rate these last 6 weeks. Lastly, I was stressing over some Master's Degree papers I have been working on. So... I just kinda... well... you know... slacked off.

Aside from all of that; it is the end of the school year and we are often involved in graduation parties, cook outs, get togethers, and a major weekend holiday trip. We went to Taitung, on the east coast, and sent the weekend with some adult learners who are graduating this year. We had a blast.


So, I really have nothing deep or insightful to write about at the moment. Perhaps a jump start is just what I needed to get back on track.

THE FUNNY STORY-
I have often teased the wives of friends of mine back in the States about giving their husband "the look." When the husband does something wrong in public and the wife cannot openly argue or debate him without further damage to the situation, she will give him "The Look." Some of you know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Some things are just FULLY cross cultural...

I was eating lunch with my friend Teacher Ker. He was telling me that he has turned in his resignation and will be leaving the academic life of college. As a dean of a department and as he is only 45 years old, it is a shock. He wants to become a farmer and have a "simpler" life. (I have told him that farming is not all that simple) So, I was teasing him, "You will retire and just sit with your friends and play Mahjong and drink tea all day!" No, he said, I have to work hard to avoid the look. A little shocked, I asked for clarification. "I have to work hard so that my wife will not look over the top of her glasses and glare at me and say nothing."

It must be inate in women.

More later,
-The Haggard

1 comment:

Sandy H. 何聖欣 said...

Hey! I resemble that remark!